Am an African not because I was born in africa, but because Africa was born in me.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

'Carnival Of Guilt'


I was greeted well
enough at the door,
handing my ticket to the clown.
I saw attractions by the score,
still, none seemed
to slow me down.

I heard laughter
all around me,
yet, I felt a silent jeer.
No, it didn't take me
long to see I was
not welcome here.

Heads were turning,
eyes were burning.
Suddenly all laughs
were gone.
Only silent glares
and my stomach churning
my repulsed fear
pushed me on.

I walked faster,
yet so did they.
What this horde wanted,
I didn't know.
Running to the nearest
door on my way,
I found myself at
 "The Freak Show".

Sneaking backstage,
in hopes to hide,
I saw a two-headed man
in a fight against himself,
each head taking a side,
and neither side was right.

Both looked at me,
without words being said,
each pointing their
given hand to a door,
smiling as if somehow
my thoughts they read.
They knew what
I was here for.

Walking inside
with what I saw
Thought, defunct,
my human eyes.
Though inside I was
struck with awe,
I tried not
to show surprise.

A four-legged woman
walking with a man
who had no legs at all,
Living, loving,
laughing and talking.
As if he stood ten feet tall.

A bearded lady singing,
soft in tone,
to a man with two noses,
so skinny he looked
made of bone.
In the mirror,
practicing poses.

I stood  amazed,
at the shapes he took
as my misdirected
thoughts ran.
It seemed he could
make himself to look
like anything but
a "normal" man.

As if sensing my
questioning mind,
a boy approached
beginning to speak.
Saying, "Stay, safely,
here awhile, you will find
the answers that you seek."

I looked down seeing
each arm without a hand
but pincers like a
lobster instead.
He said, "There's things
the world won't
understand,
that can be grasped
here, full-fled."

He gestured to a
snake-skinned man,
and said, "Beauty truly is
in the eye, viewed by
the world, a charlatan,
won't you give the
magic mirror a try."

So I stepped over
and took my view,
behold a man without a face.
It was suddenly so clear,
I knew I had finally
found my place.

And every night people
stop to just stare
and maybe we raise
their self esteem.
Some people pity us
thinking it's not fair,
some think we're just
here to scheme.

But I recall the other side,
I know what leads you
to jeer and jolt,
and what you see as
"The Freak Show"
is just your carnival of guilt. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment